To mark VApril this year, we at Ecigwizard want to discuss the media focus on vaping which is negatively affecting adult smoking cessation efforts.
Just last month, ITV News reported that doctors were calling for vaping to be made less appealing to children in order to combat under-age vaping, whilst this month, the Mail Online reported that vaping could raise the risk of high blood sugar.
Whilst vape manufacturers and retailers are just as committed as anti-vape campaigners to ensuring safety whilst vaping as well as prohibiting underage vaping, the media’s sole focus on these issues fail to highlight the millions of adult smokers who have been able to quit smoking with the help of vaping.
An article published by the American Journal of Public Health (AJPBH) suggests that much of the public, including smokers now believe the use of e-cigarettes is just as dangerous or even more dangerous than tobacco smoking; when in fact, vaping has been declared 95% safer than smoking by Public Health England and ‘far less hazardous than smoking’ by the National Academies of Science, Engineering, and the Medicine.
To do our part in helping smokers make that switch to vaping as well as reassure current vapers, here are a few facts about vaping that you may not come across on mainstream media:
1. E-cigarettes are free from tar or carbon monoxide which are two of the most harmful elements in tobacco smoke.
2. Vaping does not emit side-stream vapour into the atmosphere, so bystanders are not exposed to secondhand smoke - laws to prohibit indoor smoking do not apply to vaping; this is purely at the premises’ management discretion.
3. A recent study carried out by researchers at UCL found that vaping is not a gateway to smoking among teenagers.
4. A randomised control study published in December 2021 showed that smokers who switched to vaping had experienced a vast improvement in their vascular health within just months.
5. Researchers at Queen Mary University of London found that 18.0% participants in their study had stopped smoking when using e-cigarettes, compared to the 9.9% who used nicotine therapy replacement.
Whilst it is vital to do your research on vaping to choose whether it is correct for you, we do condemn the mainstream media painting vaping in a negative light despite its contribution to lessening the smoking rates across adults and teenagers in the U.K.
As always, we are committed to supporting you make the switch to vaping in the safest, most comfortable way. Shop our range of vape starter kits to get you started on your smoke-free journey.